Monday, January 11, 2010

A Little Wisdom from Nick, the Volvo Guy


I really am outdoorsy, I swear.  

In our pre-kiddo days, I backpacked for weeks on end, rock climbed some incredible routes, traveled across glaciers, and summited some breath-taking peaks.  I have the scars and the ridiculous amount of gear in my garage to prove it.  Even in my last months of pre-parenthood, Steve and I joked that our oldest son Jonah was the world's tiniest backpacker because I guided a 5-day backpacking trip at seven weeks pregnant.  I vowed that none of this would change when the baby actually arrived.  

And then I met our real-life child... who, unlike my original visions, was not always stoked to accompany Stephen and I on our many adventures.   Our first inkling of this challenge developed when, at six weeks old, we took Jonah on his first rock climbing outing.  Our plan was simply that one of us would wear our sweet sleeping child in his front carrier while belaying on the ground, and the other would climb blissfully above.  Sounds easy enough, right?  

Wrong.  Wrong.  Wrong.  Jonah got hot, wouldn't sleep, and most of all, hated standing still while strapped to one of us;  the kid needed movement.  Each time one of us would attempt to climb, he wailed.  We were all miserable, and we eventually packed up and went home.  On our way down, other climbers stared and whispered, "What are they doing out here with that little baby?".  The simple answer was, we were just trying to maintain some sense of our prior selves, and we were attempting to figure out how to include this tiny new member of our family in the mix.  

And we're still working on it.  Over the past four years, our quest to maintain our outdoor lifestyle has definitely had it's ups and downs.  Jonah's first camping trip ended with so much endless screaming in the wee hours of the morning that we literally just tore down our campsite and came home, much to the relief of the sleepless neighbors in our campground.  I've developed a deep confusion about how little boys who literally don't sit still all day long at home can whine that they are exhausted to the point of death after just 50 feet.  Twenty-two month old Eli often refuses to ride in the backpack on our hikes recently,  meaning that it can easily take us what seems like HOURS to simply move a few feet forward as he examines every leaf, flower, bug, and footprint.

But that slower pace isn't always such a bad thing, is it?  We decided to by some flora and fauna books and make the most of our snail speed.  By now, we've had some incredible experiences with our little guys outside:  some picture-perfect camping trips, some great days teaching Jonah how to rock climb, and some wide-eyed hikes as Eli grins in amazement at the mountains before him.  Steve and I are learning to embrace the idea that our excursions with our boys are often nothing more than a chance to be together as a family and a chance to be outdoors;  any other accomplishments together are just icing on the cake.  

An easy hike in Sunshine Canyon last summer included all the usual whining and fussing and rescuing Eli from hurling himself down a rocky hill.  By the time we returned to the car, we were all weary and hungry, and once again, Steve and I were questioning why we even bother.  

But then we noticed a note on our windshield.  Here's what it said:  

"I noticed your lovely family, and I wanted to share how awesomely beautiful it is to see a family together in nature.  Thanks for the beautiful memory.  Much love and blessings upon you all!"   - Nick, the guy in the Volvo

We smiled, thankful to this stranger, Nick, for reminding us that, even with all its challenges, sharing this big world with our little guys is a beautiful thing.  

10 comments:

  1. wow...it's worth it and thanks for the reminder. i know i will need it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog Kristin. You paint a very real and beautiful picture with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a gift you got from volvo man. i love that he took the time to communicate how your family impacted him. i rarely do that and i should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin... I just found your blog through Julie! And I love it... you are an amazing writer and I love the humor you find in life! : ) Hope all is well with you and the fam...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, great to hear from you! Thanks so much for the the kind words. I look forward to checking out your blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment on mine, btw. I love that this guy took the time to give a little encouragement. One of my big goals this year - to offer encouragement if it passes through my head. Glad to see that you are getting your guys out with you - slower, for sure, but so important for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer Jorgensen BeschJanuary 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM

    Hey there stranger! So, I haven't seen you in 5 years and before that it had been close to 10 years (we certainly can't be that old)! I just happened upon your blog via facebook, and I love it! Having a 2 year old, I can relate to many of your posts. You are a fabulous, witty, and heartfelt writer. Thanks for me letting peek in on your life. I hope you have a healthy, adventurous winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen,
    Oh my goodness! It's so good to hear from you, old friend. Thanks so much for your kind comments; it's been such fun to experience the adventure of parenting as a point of connection with others going through similar things. I'm brand new to this Facebook thing, but I'll definitely look forward to keeping in touch with you there. Many warm wishes to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristin, I love reading your blog! I can totally relate to this post. We just bought tickets to Peru for all four of us (Mate will be 5 in March and Vincent is 2). I'm excited and terrified at the same time. Before we had kids, Mike and I loved traveling so much and looked forward to sharing that passion with our children, but the reality of traveling, especially internationally, is that it's SO hard. I look at other families who seem to travel effortlessly and I'm jealous. My kids get so crabby and over tired when they don't have their routine. They sleep terribly which means we all sleep terribly. At the same time, we do it because even though it is slower paced and different from when it was just Mike and I, it's still beautiful and special and worth it. I hope my boys look back and see how much we valued taking them to different places around the world and that they fall in love with exploring as much as we do.

    You will inspire your boys to love nature and it's worth it :) Thanks for reminding me of that today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patricia! So fun to see you here, and I'm so glad that my experiences resonate. Your little guys are blessed to have parents who inspire them to explore, even when it's challenging. Hope we can stay in touch, friend!

    ReplyDelete