Friday, February 26, 2010

Coming Clean


Tonight was a typical bath night in our house. Although they usually put up a pretty good fight about getting in the tub, once they are plopped into that warm, bubbly water, these little guys could not be happier. Eli sings to himself. Jonah tells "stories" with his bath toys. They pour and splash and slide around on their bellies. They laugh and squirt and make bubble beards and they almost never ask to get out. And yes, they do get clean, but for these little dudes, cleanliness is clearly NOT the main event; this party is all about the FUN.

As I watched Jonah and Eli splashing and swimming and singing in the bathtub tonight, I was struck with a sudden sense that, well, I can't imagine approaching my daily bathing with such zeal. First, to be honest, I don't remember that last time I actually made time for a bath. It's strictly showers here. And sure, I enjoy a good shower as much as anyone, but I don't just PLAY in there. I don't tell stories to myself or squirt myself with a toy fish or splash around just for the fun of it, and I don't remember the last time I laughed in midst of my daily shower. I am oh-so-utilitarian. I get in there to get myself clean, maybe shave my legs if it's a good day, and get out of there and on to the next thing.

At what point did I begin lose my children's incredible capacity for joy in the most mundane of daily tasks? When did the faucet cease to be something looked on with wide-eyed wonder? I'm not sure, and I fear that, if I'm really honest, I am most likely contributing to the loss of this playfulness in my little guys. I rush them around. I warn them not to splash so hard that they make a mess. I often set to work cleaning the toilet or the bathroom sink while they play in the tub, subtly and silently teaching them that there are MUCH more important things to do than giggle and float in a warm soup of Mr. Bubble.

But maybe with the help of my soaking wet boys, I'm slowly unlearning all those "rules" that convince me that every moment needs to be productive, that for adults, silly time is "wasted" time. I'm discovering that despite my grown-up agenda of toilet-cleaning and bill-paying and errand running, more often than not, a squeaky rubber duck and a shampoo mohawk in the bathtub is just what the doctor ordered.

5 comments:

  1. My dearest Kristin,
    I cannot tell you how full my heart is reading your blog!! I found your post on facebook and came here and am just blown away. Your writing is amazing, but more than that your life makes me smile :) Your laughter always made me so happy, and I can still here it when I read your posts. I'm so happy for you and Steve and am so glad I can read a little into your life here! And you are motivating me to keep up more with my blog (healthinharmonypilates), and we'll see if that actually happens...so many social "outlets" I can't keep up sometimes.

    I just wanted to let you know how happy I am to find this and how close I still hold you in my heart!
    ps - where do you live in Colorado? I lived there for 9 years before moving to Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I have been feeling the same as I take Asher, the dog, on daily walks. I try really hard to enjoy being in the moment instead of thinking what all I could be doing instead of walking a dog who wants to sniff EVERYTHING! I slow down, look around, and appreciate the opportunity to be with myself and my thoughts...and nature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there with you (although I'm a blissful bath taker)! I can lose it really fast throught the course of the day. I continually have to remind myself that toddlers don't move quickly when you need to be somewhere, but all other times they're bolts of lightening. Drives.me.crazy. I forgot (somehow) how all encompassing an infant is, and that sometimes you just need that little bundle off of your body and out of your space entirely. And then, like just minutes ago, all it took to shake the jitters out of all of us was the Jackson Five singing on TV. Of course I dropped what I was doing and danced around the living room, Theo hopping up and getting in there with me, and Sullivan watching it all with tears and a toothless grin. Back to happy again. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "warm soup of Mr. Bubble." love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I think I'll have to take a bath soon and thoroughly enjoy.

    ReplyDelete