Monday, February 15, 2010

The Good Night

One final lullabye

One last kiss

Curious George tucked in tight

I switch on the motorcycle nightlight

And quietly close your door.

I stand for a moment in the hallway as I listen to your hushed giggles

and I contemplate an evening's possibilities:  

read a book

eat a dessert with much, too much sugar for you

call a friend

pray

drink a glass of wine

argue with your dad

pay some bills 

make love to your dad

clean the bathroom

watch a movie with foul language

practice yoga

take a long, hot bath

tidy the house of the very toys that will find their way back underfoot again tomorrow

write

All of these have lurked in the corner all day, watching me

And waiting impatiently for the few and precious hours

when you finally sleep.  

But later, as I pass your room again

I tiptoe inside, adjust your blankets, and lean down to breathe you in.

Almost

just almost

hoping you will wake.  

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I found myself laughing at the eating something with too much sugar. The second Eric took Theo upstairs last night I poured a glass of red wine and ate an entire dark chocolate candy bar...in total peace!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't i wish i could fit all those into one night! what a wonderful night that would be!

    it is amazing that all it takes is an hour or two to remember how awesome they are (it doesn't hurt that they're asleep and looking angelic!), and an hour or two in the morning to remember what holy terrors they are. actually, strike that. a minute or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kristin, you have a way with words. I actually got teary-eyed...I love my boys too!!
    I always have all these "dreams" of what I'll do each night once they are tucked in...
    Thank you for articulating in such a beautiful way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, thanks for the kind words. I often think of my fellow mother friends scattered all around the country, and it's reassuring to know that, regardless of distance, our experiences are often so similar. Thank goodness for bedtime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful. amazing poem. thanks. love you & miss you. Kelli (Schram) Arrandale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelli! So fun to hear from you, and I'm so flattered you enjoyed the poem. Hope you and your clan are well!

    ReplyDelete